Humanists of Washington is a statewide freethought association dedicated to the principles of Secular Humanism. We espouse a life-affirming, secular view of the universe built on a foundation of reason, science, and democracy. We support intellectual freedom, free inquiry, critical thinking, and human compassion. As a result of these principles, we believe in self-responsibility and self-determination. We hold that human beings are autonomous centers of ethical and moral development and do not require the guidance or leadership of supernatural beings. We believe that each human being is born filled with promise and that no one is burdened with original sin, nor condemned to live in guilt, nor in need of salvation from outside the self.
We cultivate compassion and respect for all human beings and other life forms which have evolved with us on earth. We celebrate the tremendous potential which exists within each individual and within humanity as a whole and we are committed to the maximum realization of that potential. Accordingly, we hold that a full range of civil rights for all people is necessary to achieve full empowerment of the individual in society. We work for the rights of individuals to make personal decisions about their bodies free from all unnecessary government intrusion. We believe that through cooperation, reason, and vision, we can create a just and peaceful world — a world in which people may truly determine their own destinies.
Ours is a joyous philosophy for those in love with life. We take responsibility for our own lives and relish the adventure of being part of new discoveries, seeking new knowledge, exploring new options. Instead of finding solace in prefabricated answers to the great questions of human existence, we enjoy the open-ended quest and the freedom of discovery.
The Humanists of Washington exist for the following purposes:
- To provide a forum for members and others to explore and share viewpoints on the philosophy of Secular Humanism and its application to everyday life.
- To develop a community of Humanists who participate together in celebrations and camaraderie, bringing together people of like mind for the purpose of supporting one another.
- To actively oppose superstition in all its forms.
- To educate the public by disseminating information on Secular Humanism.
- To actively promote Humanistic principles in Washington state with the purpose of influencing the direction of social thought and action toward Humanistic goals.
This statement may not be endorsed in every detail by every member of the Humanists of Washington, but it does represent the collective ideas encompassed by our group. These affirmations are not a final credo or dogma but a dynamic expression of a living and growing way of life.